Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Maybe I'm "Old"!

I don't feel old---well maybe a little right now with all these aches and pains. But really, I don't think I'm old. I've always stayed current with music---okay, I'm losing that now as I listen to the "oldies" most of the time. I think there might be more to getting old than just my taste in music. In fact, I've paid attention lately and have come up with the following list:

Things that make me feel old:
When I went for my most recent treatment, the nurse asked if I had a living will. She asked if I had it in a safe at home. I said, "No." She seemed surprised. What she actually asked was, "Do you feel safe at home." I'm not even sure what that means. But the bigger problem here could be my hearing---that's definitely an "old" thing.

Christy, my designer, is certified to help people "aging in place." I didn't even know that was a "thing." Hence her installation of "fancy" grab bars in my new shower. Plus she said she was making the shower door wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair. Seriously? Do people roll their wheelchairs in the shower and get them all wet? All I can see in that scenario is a huge mess. Lord help me!

When going anywhere, my first thought is always about parking: where is it, how far is the walk, how much will it cost?

I feel pretty "hip" being on Facebook. But on the other hand, it makes me feel old when half the time I don't know what the "young" people are posting about.

A couple weeks ago, Karolyn's daughter, Lauren was able to join us for lunch. She asked me if this made me feel young--like a teenager:
My sparkly grey nails. No, I don't wear this color to act/feel younger. It just goes with everything. I never wanted to be one of those people that wore mini skirts past my prime, or long scraggly hair to seem younger. I asked my girls if my nails made me look like that. They said "no" so I'll keep wearing this color. But I have noticed in this picture that my hands are looking a little wrinkly!

This kind of mail makes me feel old:
Plus I got something about joining AARP. I guess I could have shared both of these on "Monday memos, mail and me." I forgot. This is just plain depressing.

It definitely makes me feel old that I can no longer be a "foot flusher." I can barely get my pants up much less balancing on one foot to flush with the other.

Recently, after working with Stephanie and Nicky on their move, they were treating at Taco Bell (I wanted something quick so we could get back to work). Stephanie will say that this was an "old" move. I ordered a taco. The girl said "Soft or crunchy?" I said, "I just want a regular taco. " I was puzzled, the girl was puzzled. Stephanie had to intervene, "She wants crunchy." Granted, I haven't been to Taco Bell in a long time, but to me, a taco is a taco. I didn't know there were choices.

I know I'm old when I pretty much HATE texting. I'm so slow. I can type on the computer way fast---that's why I prefer email communication. Young people's fingers fly over the keyboard to text. Half the time, I'll be in the middle of a response while everyone else is responding all around me---making my responses irrelevant.

It definitely makes me feel old when store clerks assume I'm eligible for a senior discount. On the other hand, I really like my buddy, Jason, at the movie theater. He doesn't arbitrarily give me the senior rate unless I ask. Most likely, that's more about making an extra buck should I forget to ask for the discount. Still, the fact that I remember his name says something!

And lastly, it's pretty hard to NOT face the fact that you are getting old when your friends are acting old!
Lucky for me, Connie is such a good sport. In this picture, she was supposed to be helping with her grandson's birthday party. Now this makes her really old! We shouldn't be expected to keep up with a bunch of 7 year olds! One good thing about this, I can keep up with her!

What kinds of things make you feel old? Or maybe, I'm the only one feeling this way!


2 comments:

  1. LOL Barbara! I think old is a state of mind - I'm definitely going to stay young as long as possible. Although I just can't pop up as quickly after sitting on the floor for a while & I wear my progressive glasses all the time (even if I can still go without them if needed)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! This is great! It would make an excellent subject for a layout. All kinds of things are making me feel a little older at the minute, but let's not talk about hormones, so I'll move on and say that TNSSO and her boyfriend took me out to see a band recently and told me I "wasn't really that old", so that'll have to do

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.