Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Book Review

Many of my family and friends are always asking me for some book recommendations. I've decided to put together a list of what I've read lately that I think are worth the read.
This book traces several families through 5 generations. It was very interesting to see where the stories went. Sometimes, I felt like they left me hanging and then all of a sudden we were on to a new generation. If it weren't for the family tree graphic at the beginning of the book, I would have had a problem keeping everyone straight.
The first Jeffrey Archer book I read was way back in the 1980's---Kane and Abel.  If you are just starting out with him, I'd suggest you start with that one. He writes exciting family sagas. The books here are part of The Clifton Chronicles. There are 7 of them, so it's quite a commitment. Once you get started, you cannot stop. Each book ends with a major cliff hanger. They are totally worth the read.

Kristin Hannah---need I say more? One of my all time favorite authors--she can make me sob out loud like no one else! For once a nice story that includes a "good" priest.
Another WWII heartbreaking story with some joyous surprises. I never get tired of learning about WWII and what people went through.
 This books is so good---but you must read The Kitchen House first. This is the sequel to that. Another book about slavery and redemption.
 Okay, I get that Bill O'Reilly is not held in high regard these days, but this book is the latest in his "killing" series. I've read them all: Killing Lincoln; Killing Kennedy; Killing Jesus. I always learn so much---which is one of my priorities in reading. They are well researched and well written. This latest book is about WWII on the Pacific front---of which I knew little. Someone recently told me that his books were not "true." Well, to that I say---all of history is written with the bias of the author. Bill O'Reilly is no different. I doubt he would fabricate the statistics. They speak for themselves. I just found out he has two others which I have not read: Killing Patton and Killing Reagan. I'll have to add them to my list. I always learn so much.
I read Mrs. Roosevelt's Confidante which is the 6th book in the Maggie Hope series. They are all very interesting and fun. They are quick reads and on the lighter side---still intriguing.
I waited a long time for this one. It's a quirky book. Ove is a man that just wants to be left alone so he can join his wife in the afterlife. He doesn't particularly care for people, but learns what an impact he makes on the lives around him. I wouldn't say it's a rip roaring read, but it was interesting and will remind you that we all have a part to play.

This book was a mystery with many twists and turns. Every Fifteen Minutes refers to a teen with OCD who has to do his rituals every fifteen minutes. 
OMGosh! I loved this book. It's a memoir of a 32 year old guy. He tells of growing up in a hillbilly family (which he likens to red-necks and white trash. Coming from St. Louis, he needs to add "hoosiers" to the list). It's so interesting and I think everyone can relate in some way. There is so much to talk about, that I convinced the family to make it our family book club book for this summer. I can't wait for the discussion. I never realized that the plight of poor people is deeper than just money. I would highly recommend it. 

I'm going to stop there. I've read 28 books so far in 2017. These are just some of them---not even the best. If you want more recommendations, just let me know. The best part about these books? I got them all through the library and have saved big bucks!

What are the best books you've read lately? I need to add them to my list of at least a hundred in waiting!

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting post, I might add a couple of these to my TBR list - I know I have one Jeffrey Archer on my shelves. I have read all the whole Maggie Hope series, and really enjoyed the earliest ones. I seem to be slogging through her latest effort #6 - Maggie has changed over the course of the books, but strangely enough she is seeming more and more immature to me. I'd recommend the Maisie Dobbs series to you - it's a little bit more challenging. Of course, this summer I was on a spy thriller kick, having read all the Mitch Rapp series. This summer binge of light ready is becoming an annual occurrence with me. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.