Friday, August 18, 2017

Mystery Trip

Well, it's been tough keeping up with my blog this summer. It's definitely been a busy one---as they all are.

Anyway, last weekend Walt, Chris, Sara and her kids were here for the weekend. Butch left Sunday morning for a golf trip before they did. I left Sunday afternoon for Charlotte. Several months ago, I planned a mystery trip for Victoria and Elizabeth. I did that a few years ago for Jordan and Morgan. I decided to do it this year because Victoria will have a job next summer---making it harder to get away.

The plan was this---the girls new I was coming in town, but that was it. I invited Sandy to go since I needed her car! When I arrived Sunday night, I told the girls that they needed to be packed and ready to leave at 9 a.m. on Monday morning. They needed a bathing suit, towel and one nice outfit.

The whole idea of a mystery trip is that I would not tell what we were doing until right before each thing. Butch does this for me and I love it!

We left the house promptly at 9 a.m. Our first stop was Thomasville, NC to see the world's largest Duncan Phyfe chair!

 I just love "kitschie" stuff like this! My grandmother had a Duncan Phyfe dining room set that I had for many years. My sister, Jennifer still has it. The chairs are not exactly like this, but the style is the same.
Next we stopped at the T-Ville Diner for breakfast. This is what I had for $3.30!
 Our next stop was in High Point, NC to see the world's largest chest of drawers. It's for sale! They put the sign right over the socks hanging out of a drawer!

We continued on to our destination---Durham, NC. We stayed at the Hilton Home Suites. The hotel was so nice----very new. We spent the afternoon hanging out at the pool ALL. BY. OURSELVES! I love that! Games and a little nap before dinner at Freddy's. My cousin, Chris introduced me to Freddy's in St. Louis when I told her I wanted to go to Steak n' Shake for lunch. I always have to have Steak n' Shake when I go to St. Louis. She said that Freddy's is just like that only better. It is really good. The best part---they have frozen custard!

We spent the evening playing games. I went to bed early as I was so tired. Turns out, I can never get this timing thing right when I'm traveling. Charlotte is on Easter time. When I woke up, my phone said 5:30. I figured it was 6:30, so I got up and started getting ready. Only later did I realize that my phone had switched to Eastern time---which meant, I really got up at 4:30 central time! No wonder I was tired!

Tuesday started with a lackluster breakfast at the hotel. Actually, it was terrible. We had a trolley tour at 10 a.m. at the Sarah Duke Gardens on the Duke University campus (so beautiful).




The tour was an hour long. It was hot and  muggy, so we were glad we took the trolley tour. Plus there's no way we could have seen everything if we hadn't. 

After the garden tour, we headed to the Southpoint Mall where we had a quick lunch at the food court. I told the girls that they could have a shopping spree! They were excited, but then couldn't find anything! Who gets to go on a "all expense paid" shopping spree and can't find anything to buy? Instead, we stopped for manicures and pedicures. Back to the hotel for games and naps before dinner.

I was really excited about dinner because I had made reservations at one of the girls favorite places---The Melting Pot! Despite a traffic jam on the way there, we had a delicious meal---and for once, did it like we always said we were going to do it---just the cheese fondue, salads and then chocolate fondu for dessert. We were all stuffed, so it was plenty of food. I was a little disappointed in my salad. They no longer serve what was my favorite. It was called the "mushroom mushroom" salad. The plate came heaped with mushrooms!
Anyway, we had a great time. When we got back to the hotel, we played more games and stayed up pretty late.

On Wednesday, we checked out of the hotel around 10 a.m. Our first stop was DSW Shoes. Finally, the girls found shoes they wanted!! Another stop at Starbucks before leaving town. We stopped at the Carolina Diner about an hour down the road for breakfast.

When we got back to Charlotte, we stopped at everyone's favorite store---Target! We got several things there then hit Charming Charlie's. The girls scored a few jewelry items. It wasn't exactly the shopping spree that I imagined, but the girls were happy!

We had happy hour where we filled Greg in on all of our antics. We had reservations at their favorite (and mine) sushi restaurant.
The sushi didn't disappoint. It truly looks like a work of art. It was all delicious!

I feel so fortunate that we had so many visits this summer. It will be October before I see them again. I miss them already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.