Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Little Christmas Share

On Wednesday night, we went to Jimmy Kelly's...
to celebrate Jordan's 23rd (yes!) birthday. I had iced tea. I didn't give it a thought. I guess that's what did it. I was awake most of the night. Or maybe it was the thought of all that I still needed to do to get ready for Christmas---which really wasn't much---I'm on top of things---usually. I hadn't baked any cookies or the banana muffins---I've been saving those black bananas in the freezer for weeks! And then there's the grocery shopping, errands and pick-ups---okay, still a lot to do! On with the story.

I got up at 4:15 to use the bathroom. I got back in bed because everything I needed to do would be a little too noisy at this early hour. Butch got up about 4:30. I jumped out of bed and said, "Great! I have things to do!" I'm sure he loved that. He likes to wake up slowly---where I'm "full on" right away!

I had a few last minute gifts to wrap and then started on the cookies.
This is what a little 5 a.m. baking yields. I finished the chocolate chip cookies later in the afternoon and the muffins in the evening. We're all set.

I delegated a few things this year. It was really nice to just tell this one and that one to do this and that! But the only problem with that is "some" family members still want to make it here. Now we're talking about interfering with my nap time! I just want them to show up with the dish already prepared. Okay, I get that they need to borrow stuff! And I am funny about taking stuff out of my house. You never know if you'll see it again! So I guess making it here is the best option. What the heck, I don't need a nap. (Who am I kidding---the downside of getting up early!)

Here's the recipe I promised. There's still time. This is Connie's recipe. We started making these together about 25 (or more) years ago. They so good and worth the work!

Mushroom Crustades
Stick of butter (4T. for sauce; 4T. for brushing)
2-4 oz. cans chopped mushrooms (drained well)
6 T. chopped onions
4 T. flour
2-8 oz. cartons heavy cream
3 T. chives
1 T. lemon juice
1/2-3/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 king size loaves sandwich bread

Crustades:
1. Cut 2 circles from each bread slice (I like to save the leftover bread for my holiday dressing)
2. Flatten each circle and place in mini muffin tins.
3. Brush with melted butter.
4. Bake at 400 for about 8 minutes until browned.
5. Cool.

Filling:
1. Saute mushrooms and onions in butter for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in flour and cream.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in chives, lemon juice and parmesan cheese.
6. Spoon in to bread shells.
7. Put on cookie sheet. (can be frozen at this point. Once frozen, place in ziplock bag.)
8. Cover crusades and heat at 300 for 10 minutes.

That's is for the baking. I already have sausage balls and spinach balls in the freezer ready to go. Food--check. Grocery shopping---one trip down, two more to go. I always do three trips---1. Sam's 2. Non-perishables 3. Fresh foods and the turkey. I try to make it easier on myself. I can't maneuver more than one cart anyway!

Gifts wrapped and under the tree. Some lucky girl is going to get these cool "booties" for Christmas! A few family members are slow to check my blog, so I'm pretty safe in posting this!

By the time you are reading this, my friends and I will have already had our annual holiday lunch. This year, we had a private room at Mere Bulles. We included daughters last year and extended it to our older granddaughters this year. I love it when we all get together. Seeing the girls laughing and reminiscing just reminds me of how important our friends are!

Also, we'll be going to the Garth Brooks concert tonight. Yes, it involves going downtown! We can do it! Especially for free tickets. In a box! Great seats. Perks of knowing people! Thanks Premier Parking for the invite!

Merry Christmas to all! I hope you have a chance to relax and enjoy the holidays with your family and friends!

This might be my last post until we come up for air next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.