Thursday, March 15, 2018

Throwback Thursday

Yarn covered hangers.

I got to thinking about these hangers my mother always made.
My mother was the most organized person I've ever known. She made these hangers for each of us. We all had our own color---matching our rooms. Of course, she also sewed little colored x's on the labels of our clothes so you could tell them apart. I had yellow hangers (mine and Jeanne's room was yellow and chocolate brown). I had red x's on my clothes. When permanent markers came out, she no longer sewed the x's, but used a red marker for me. I had a closet full of these yellow hangers. This is the only yellow one I have left.
We all took those hangers for granted. When mom died and we were dividing things, we all wanted the hangers. Suddenly, they seemed so valuable to us---something she made and reminded us of our childhood. Luckily, she had made so many, we each got about 20 of them. I have mine in the hall closet. They are perfect there. I can only have matching hangers! 

I couldn't even think about putting them in my closet! 
My sense of order requires matching hangers! Yes, I know how to make the yarn covered ones and do like the way they look, but I would have to make too many. I don't want to do it. 

Still, I'm so happy to have a little bit of mom left! A perfect thought for Throwback Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. I love my yarn covered hangers! I was thinking about them recently and the fact that they're like 60 years old is amazing! Can you imagine wire hangers lasting that long? Thanks Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.